What is startup Weekend?
Startup weekend EDU helps you to kick start your education startup ideas. Over the weekend you form teams with the attendees and get advice and support from valuable mentors who are industry professionals.
The idea for TinkerED came from my real life experience when I moved to San Francisco from Ireland. I set up a meet up group to make new friends and meet other teachers. My meet up group attracted the attention of Educational Technology companies who wanted to share their ideas with a teacher and get feedback. I noticed a gap in the market for these connections to occur and wanted to solve it.
I pitched my idea on Friday night alongside 54 other great attendees, only 15 of these ideas made it to the second round. Despite my initial pitch just missing out on gaining a top spot, I decided to continue my mission and set out determined to find my team. One by one it grew six persons strong and TinkerED was created. With the help of my wonderful team and fantastic mentors we won 1st place. It was an amazing experience that I want to share.
What does TinkerED do?
- TinkerED connects education technology companies with expert teachers who want to help build the best educational tools of the future.
- Sign up needs for education technology companies so far include: user testing, user feedback, content writing and more.
- Teachers have signed up as they want to get involved in creating the educational tools they will be using and also want to earn some extra cash.
- Teachers and EdTech companies can sign up here.
What I learned from Startup Weekend
- If you have an idea that you feel passionate about, go after it and find the evidence and support to prove its value by talking to people.
- Take every opportunity to share your ideas. Getting up to pitch is very nerve wracking, but if you don’t take the opportunity, no-one will hear your voice. Plus everyone is really supportive towards each other.
- Sharing your ideas with others helps your idea to grow.
- Listen to feedback from expert mentors and attendees and learn from their experiences.
- Make lasting connections with interesting people.
What’s next for TinkerED?
- We want to continue to build our community of expert teachers and education technology companies and get them connected. EdTech companies and teachers can sign up here.
- TinkerED’s win earned us the opportunity to apply for the Global Startup Battle and we need your votes to get us there.
- To see TinkerED’s video entry and vote for us click here.
- To contact the team or to find out more information, you can visit TinkerED or email me, email@example.com
We would love to hear your thoughts on our mission,
‘Connecting education technology companies with expert teachers to shape the future of learning tools.’
To find out more about Startup Weekend and find events near you, visit the Startup weekend home page.