How to make your own Phonics flip board.
What you need:
- Spiral bound Note book
How to construct:
- Turn the book landscape with the spirals at the top.
- Split the book into 3 equal sized columns and cut the columns all the way to the top.
- Write all the consonants on the 1st and 3rd columns.
- Write all the vowels on the middle column.
- Write the sounds in the order your child is learning them, according to their school / home program you are using.
- If you do not have an order, you can use the following order of sounds that I use to teach my students. It follows the Linguistic Phonics order of sounds:-
Columns 1 and 3
Write these sounds in this order in the 1st and 3rd column.
s, t, p, n, m, c, f, r, d, h, g, k, b, j, v, x, l, w, y, z
Column 2 (Middle)
Write these sounds on the middle column
a, i, o, u, e
Games to play
Simple word building
Use the chart to build simple words like cat, pin etc.
Make rhyming words by changing the first letter. This teaches your child that the end sounds stays the same in rhyming words.
Just make any 3 letter combinations and have fun trying to say them. eg: fub
Explore vowel sounds
Change the middel vowel to see what new words you can make.
Share your fun ways to teach Phonics.
Send along your feedback of how you enjoyed using this flip board with your child.